The Eminence 2022 application is now open.
In keeping with the mission of the Eminence Fellows, the selection committee looks for students who have demonstrated potential as academic scholars and leaders both inside and outside the classroom. Applicants should be driven to excel and be interested in support of a small community of peers.
Criteria and Eligibility
- Only U.S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply.
- All applicants must apply to the Ohio State University Honors Program and be accepted.
- Fellows are selected based on outstanding potential and all majors are encouraged to apply. There is no "typical" Eminence Fellow.
Applicants are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Robust curriculum and strong GPA
- Top 10% (and above) class rank
- Curiosity as demonstrated by research or equivalent experiences
- Official ACT or SAT scores (optional)
- Demonstrated commitment to a cause, program, issue, or idea
- Demonstrated commitment to improving life for others
- Written expression through essays (Common Application and Eminence)
- Video introduction through a 2-minute YouTube link
Additional consideration will be given to:
- Service that extends beyond high school organizations and clubs
- Leadership that threads through academics and service
- Depth and breadth in involvement, experiences, and leadership
- Collaborative spirit and teamwork-inspired experience
How to Apply
- Applicants must apply to the university by the Monday, November 1 early action deadline. When completing the Ohio State admissions application, applicants must indicate their interest in University Honors and complete the associated essay.
- Within 1-5 days, the applicant will receive an email that acknowledges Ohio State's receipt of the student's admission application and provides a unique Ohio State username (lastname.#), along with instructions on activating this username and setting up a password.
- Applicants must then complete and submit the Eminence Application by the Monday, November 15 deadline. The applicant's Ohio State username and password are required to apply. The applicant does not need to wait for an OSU admission decision to submit the Eminence application.
Components of the Eminence Application
There are two components of the Eminence Application:
- Eminence Essay
- Video Introduction (via an unlisted YouTube link)
The Scholarship Selection Committee will have access to the student's Common Application and consider it in the selection process.
Approximately 75-80 students will be selected as finalists and will be notified in early January 2022. All finalists will be invited to interview virtually, and interviews will take place in January and February. Interview details will be directly emailed to all finalists.
Finalist Group Events and Selection
All finalists will participate in an OSU/Eminence immersion experience on Finalist Friday, scheduled for March 4, 2022. This day will provide a glimpse of the Eminence experience and include individual department visits, and various group activities, that precede a special Finalist dinner that evening at The Blackwell Inn and Pfahl Conference Center. The finalist will need to register for a Buckeye Bound admission event as well, which will offer a comprehensive overview of all that The Ohio State University has to offer. These events will be scheduled on various Saturdays throughout the spring semester.
Requirements of the Program
To remain in good standing as Eminence Fellows, students are required to:
- Gain admission to the University Honors Program and maintain Honors status every semester.
- Contribute to their class service project and embrace the collaborative spirit of "giving back."
- Complete an honors thesis or other capstone requirement for graduation with Honors Research Distinction.
- Contribute to and be involved with Eminence program initiatives through regular attendance and/or participation in Eminence leadership opportunities.