The Arts Scholars Program enables select students with strong interest in the disciplines of art, music, theatre, dance, design, fashion, creative writing, and more to collaborate creating an arts focused community for intellectual, social, and civic development.
Students in the Arts Scholars program may have a major in any university college or department. The program offers students the opportunity to participate in programs that enhance their educational experience. These programs include lectures and specialized workshops, group excursions to museums and professional performances, a juried student art exhibition and performance showcase, community involvement, and trips outside of Columbus.
The Arts Scholars family consists of approximately 100 first-year students and 200 upper-level students who commit to completing minimal expectations across their four-year undergraduate career at The Ohio State University. Fifty percent of the students in the program are majoring in the arts such as Art, Art Education, Art & Technology, Visual Communication Design, Music Performance, Music Education, Dance, Theatre, and History of Art. The other 50 percent are majoring in disciplines across the university such as Engineering, English, Biology, Food Science, Business, Spanish, and Psychology. Finding a pre-med ballerina, a guitar-jamming engineer, or a fine artist business student is easy amongst our community.
Values of the Arts Scholars Program
- Interdisciplinary Arts: respect and learn about all arts disciplines
- Family: bond with and support one another through your college career
- Diversity: appreciate other perspectives, backgrounds, and identities
- Service: support the arts through time, talent, and treasure
- Art for Life: keep connected with the arts through career or civic involvement
Benefits of the Arts Scholars Program
- Member of a select community of students (called the Arts Scholars Family)
- College-level priority scheduling (your scheduling appointment time window will open before other students in your rank)
- Program Manager and Graduate Administrative Associate staff here to assist you with navigating Ohio State
- Weekly communication about interesting opportunities on campus (it’s a big place, we help funnel the information for what you really want)
- Upper-level Peer Mentor to help guide your first year at Ohio State
- Special programming designed for your interest in the arts
- Discount concert and show tickets each semester
- Discounted trips (e.g. New York City, Washington DC, Pittsburgh, Chicago)
- Participation in service-learning opportunities connecting the arts to service
- Exclusive participation in the annual juried exhibition and cabaret showcase
- Connection to the arts community within Columbus and Ohio (opportunities for personal growth and learning outside of campus)