Events & Activities
Arts Scholars participate in a variety of events throughout the year – some of which require no skill in the arts while others help to highlight the amazing skills we possess. Most activities are just options so that students can select what programs and events most interest them.
- Annual Juried Exhibition – Since the opening of the OSU Urban Arts Space in downtown Columbus, the Arts Scholars have been showcasing their talent with an annual juried exhibition. Approximately 12-15 pieces are selected each year and one piece is selected as Best In Show to receive a $1,000 scholarship from the Aida Cannarsa Snow Endowment Fund. See current exhibitions at the Urban Arts Space here (http://uas.osu.edu)
- Annual Cabaret Show – Each spring, there is a performance show to allow performing artists the opportunity to highlight their talents. This tradition is now held at the Garden Theater in the Short North during Gallery Hop. Previous acts have included solo dance, stand-up comedy, jazz bands, solo singing with guitar, flute trio, and group dance.
- New York City – Arts Scholars travel to New York City each year to meet with alumni working in the arts, see Broadway shows, visit museums, and learn how to navigate the city. Students in the past have met with arts leaders and toured museums at: Guggenheim Museum, American Museum of Natural History, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Radio City Music Hall, and more. Students have met with alumni and obtained internships at Dave Wilson Retail Marketing Solutions, Victoria Secret, Razor & Tie Entertainment, and many more.
- Gallery Hop – Students organize groups to visit the Columbus Arts District just blocks from campus called the Short North during the first Saturday of each month. Art galleries and boutique shops open their doors later for special openings and events.
- Baker Love Coffeehouse – In partnership with the Baker West Arts Council, students perform for each other in the Performance Space and coffee and hot chocolate are served.
- Broadway in Columbus – Students enjoy seeing Broadway shows in Columbus and meeting the cast following the performance.
Volunteer and Service
- Buckeyethon – Over 40 Arts Scholars participate in Ohio State's 24-hour dance marathon to raise money for the Children's Miracle Network at Nationwide Children's Hospital. We have raised over $5,000 in the past.
- Highball Halloween – Students volunteer each year to help with the annual Highball Halloween sponsored by the Short North Business Association which celebrates the arts in the Short North. Last year, students managed a program within the event to teach the community about El Dia de Los Muertos and paint faces as Mexican Catrinas.
- Winter Caroling – Each winter we visit the Wesley Glen Retirement Community to sing as a lead up to Winter Break, no formal training required.
- Career Workshops – Each semester, a series of career workshops focusing on resume and cover letter writing, networking, interviewing, and job searching are provided for students. Some arts-specific programs include putting together a portfolio and mock auditions.
- Networking Opportunities – Students have a variety of options to meet leaders and managers of arts and non-profit organizations to learn about job and internship opportunities in addition to networking with upper-level students to find out about opportunities.